Monday 18 March 2013

My White Water Rafting

Title: Downstream

The gentle rocking of the boat calmed me as everyone jumped in. I gripped onto the paddle in front of me and started to paddle in beat with the rest of the team. The hot, stuffy morning made my thighs stick to the rubber outside of the boat that kept us afloat. We start to speed up as we caught a ripple. I took a glimpse below to see what's there. I could see to the bottom of the glass like river showing each grain of sand beneath me. The constant turning of the raft reminds me to keep paddling. I ignore the sudden pain in my arms when we speed up. We get to a bit where we have to stop. I look around and realise the other teams have as well. We have to switch rafts.

We put both rafts together and hold on as a person clambers on, I clamber off leaving the boat I started from. I took a seat upfront and grabbed my paddle, I wait as the others clamber on and the rest clamber off. I see the other team up ahead, I felt a sudden jolt as my teammates push us off from the other raft. We caught a sudden rip and we floated down stream to catch up with the others. I yelled in encouragement to my teammates so all our paddles were were to be in rhythm to my voice. We were told to slow down up ahead so we could have a relaxing soak in the hot springs. We put our paddles in the water and made it slow down we turned up ahead and jumped from the raft into the crystal blue water below. we swam over to the hot waterfall. I felt the hot water getting to work on my tense muscles.
I felt relaxed and free.

1 comment:

  1. Cool description about rafting Izzy! :)

    ReplyDelete

karla.hull@ngatea.school.nz, tristar@ngatea.school.nz, melissak@ngatea.school.nz, brendak@ngatea.school.nz